Mobile Engineer (Flutter)
We’re on a mission to unlock everyone’s money confidence by connecting people to timely support when they need it.
At Toucan, we help banks and other regulated firms communicate with and help customers that struggle with money stress, including those who might be battling poor mental health.
Using Open Banking, we map transactions to data points which may flag distress, and then act by giving the customer personalised support. This support can be sending a timely message to a friend asking them to check in, a problem-solving chatbot, a direct line to a charity, or advice on how to speak to their bank.
We’re a team of designers and developers that put empathy first, with 40+ combined years of experience building products in companies like Monzo, Funding Options, Zopa, and Deliveroo. We draw inspiration from the stories surfaced in our customer research as well as our own personal hardships to drive our mission.
In just a few months, we have designed, built and launched an MVP app, in partnership with Open Banking for Good, academia and a leading research charity. We have proven that it has benefited people living with mental health conditions and their carers. We have exciting plans for 2020 and onwards, to make Toucan even better and available to everyone in need.
What you'd be doing
Work and learn with us, in a friendly, open-minded, and dedicated team. Your responsibilities will include:
- System architecture design
- Architect efficient, reliable, scalable and maintainable mobile apps with clean, simple code.
- Establish and maintain good software practices like continuous delivery, code reviews, automatic testing, quality assurance and feedback loops.
- Hands-on development
- Get involved in all stages of the development process: architecting, implementing, testing, deploying and maintaining our codebase.
- Be willing to solve problems as they occur and take ownership outside your immediate role when needed.
- Culture and mentorship
- Propose tools and practices that increase productivity, increase software resilience and tolerance to human error.
- Help us increase the overall team wellbeing.
Why join us
We're still a young company, so this is a great opportunity to use your skills to build tech for good and have the biggest impact in your career. As a team member, you’ll have ownership of delivering the best results in your area. We encourage experimentation with new technologies and coding practices across the team. We also hope you’re looking forward to growing with us and helping shape our company culture.
We are looking for someone to take immediate leadership of the app. Our app is an MVP, tested with real users. We plan to gradually add more complex features. We want to make our app stable and easy to maintain and test. We are currently looking at different options for state management so we want you to lead the architecture for future versions.
Who we're looking for
We're looking for a full-time, on-site Flutter developer with hands-on experience in building mobile apps for Android and iOS. You would have previously worked with either a native or cross-platform framework. Experience working in a Fintech is a plus.
What we’d love to see from you is that:
- You are empathic, skilled and driven by the desire to build something that literally changes lives for the better
- You are able to get started from the get-go
- You are a great collaborator and are open to and keen to offer feedback
What we're offering
We are offering a competitive salary (plus equity), in the range of £60,000 - £80,000 per year, depending on experience.
We also care about easing the London commute, so our team works remotely one day per week.
The selection process is fairly flexible, a phone call, a small homework project doable in a few hours, and a follow-up on-site interview, where you get to meet our team. We are currently based in Central London (Covent Garden).
How to apply
If you have any questions about this role or you’d like to apply, email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include some details about why you’d like to work with us. We're looking forward to hearing from you!